Tournaments is the alternative competition system for Hattrick teams. You can join official ladder tournaments and try to become the 'King of the Hill', or you can play in tournaments that are run by managers themselves.
Note that you can still play regular friendly matches every week even if you play in a tournament.
You have to be a Gold, Platinum, or Diamond Supporter to create a tournament. The creator decides size, name, etc., and then invites managers to the tournament. Gold and Platinum Supporters can participate for free in one 'Simple' Tournament at a time, but have to purchase Credits for all other tournaments. Others can also join in through Hattrick Gears. Diamond Supporters can participate in one 'Simple' tournament and up to 10 tournaments at a time using the 'Advanced' option, and will not be charged credits for participating in them.
When the tournament is full, it will start automatically and get a forum created for it as well. If the tournament is not full 72 hours before the first match should begin, the start date will be postponed one week.
Simple tournament matches are played on Mondays, whereas advanced tournament matches can be played any time of the week.
In a ladder your goal is to reach the highest rung and become the 'King of the Hill' - then stay there for as long as you can. To reach the top you challenge other teams listed above you in the ladder, and if you win you take their place in the ladder.
Your current position in the ladder affects which teams you are able to challenge.
- Pos 1-5: Can only be challenged by the team immediately below them in the ladder.
- Pos 6-15: Can be challenged by teams 1-3 places below them.
- Pos 16-99: Can be challenged by teams 1-10 places below them.
- Pos 100-199: Can be challenged by teams 1-50 places below them.
- Pos 200-1000: Can be challenged by teams 1-100 places below them.
- Pos 1000-5000: Can be challenged by teams 1-500 places below them.
- Pos 5000+: Can be challenged by teams 1-1000 places below them.
The challenger pays for the match and challenged teams automatically accept the challenge. The match is played 24 hours after the challenge has been made. If the challenger wins, the Credit will be refunded.
Position changes after match
If you challenge a team and win, you take the position of the team you challenged. The challenged team is moved down 1 position (this also goes for any other teams in between the two teams in the ladder).
Example: Team A is on position 54 and challenges B, currently 47. If A wins, A takes position 47 from B. B is moved down to position 48, and the team that held position 48 is moved down to 49, the team that held position 49 is moved down to 50, and so on.
If you challenge a team and lose, both teams stay in their respective places.
Challenge grace periods
After a match in which you were challenged, other teams can't challenge you for 12 hours (from the start of the match). This gives you a chance to challenge a team yourself and climb the ladder.
After a match in which you were the challenger, you can't challenge another team for 12 hours (from the start of the match). This is to give other teams a chance to challenge you. It is also to prevent scenarios where for example #2 always immediately challenges #1, making it impossible for #3 to challenge him and take that position.
Also, you can't challenge the team that you just played for 24 hours.
Tournament matches (Ladders and others)
Matches are played on neutral grounds and they don't give you any income from spectators (and no new members to your fan club).
All tournament matches use the same match data as regular matches. So your players' current form, skills, experience, injury status, etc on the match day will be used. There are two exceptions though: team spirit (and confidence) is set to a fixed value and cards work differently. See below for details.
No effects after match
Tournament matches have no effect on your team or your players after the match. So, players don't get any training or experience from these matches, nor do matches have any effect on formation experience, team spirit and so on.
All the details you need to know about tournament matches are listed here:
- Team spirit: Team spirit is set to a fixed level (content) in tournament matches.
- Team confidence: Confidence is set to a fixed level (wonderful) in tournament matches.
- Injuries: No injuries will occur in tournament matches, but any injured player in "normal" Hattrick will not be able to play.
- Cards (own tournaments): Tournaments have their own card status, and have a completely different system of red / yellow cards from 'normal' Hattrick. As such, any card received in a tournament match will only count for the matches that are part of that tournament. Likewise, should a player be red carded in normal Hattrick, he will still be able to play in a tournament match.
- Cards (Ladders): Cards don't count at all in ladder tournaments.
- Training: Players don't get any training from tournament matches.
- Experience: Player don't gain any experience from playing tournament matches.
- Formations: Your current formation experience in "normal" Hattrick is used also for tournament matches. However, you do not gain any formation experience from tournament matches.